The Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales') or simply "Stafford's" for short was an infantry regiment of the British Army and part of the Prince of Wales' Division. The regiment was formed in 1959 by the amalgamation of The South Staffordshire Regiment and The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's).
The Stafford's can trace their history back to 1705 when a regiment known as the 38th Foot was raised at Lichfield by Colonel Luke Lillingstone.
As part of the reorganisation of the infantry it was announced in 2004, that the Staffordshire Regiment would merge with the Cheshire Regiment and the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment into a new three-battalion regiment to be called the Mercian Regiment.
On 1 September 2007 the Staffordshire Regiment
became the 3rd Battalion, Mercian Regiment (Stafford's),
and will operate permanently in the armoured infantry role.
Initially based at Tidworth, the battalion moved to
Bad Fallingbostel, Germanyin August 2009, where it is now permanently based
as part of 7th Armoured Brigade (The Desert Rats).